Say what you want about avatar, but at least it has multiple examples of the avatar being women and/or PoC, unlike a certain other show with a reincarnating character who somehow is always a white guy.
Just adding: ALL the avatars are PoC. There are no white people in the Avatar world.
Ok, soooo… after making this piece I decided I should redeem myself and make sth cheerful for a change…
Instead I made “Laura Hale: from the dead and back” Pt.2 =___= I’m so sorry ;_;
This is because Fahrenheit is based on a brine scale and the human body. The scale is basically how cold does it have to be to freeze saltwater (zero Fahrenheit) to what temperature is the human body (100-ish Fahrenheit, although now we know that’s not exactly accurate). Fahrenheit was designed around humans.
Celsius and Kelvin are designed around the natural world.
Celsius is a scale based on water. Zero is when water freezes, 100 is when water boils.
Kelvin uses the same scale as Celsius (one degree, as a unit, is the same between the two), but defines zero as absolute zero, which is basically the temperature at which atoms literally stop doing that spinning thing. Nothing can exist below zero Kelvin. It’s the bottom of the scale.
Fahrenheit: what temperatures affect humans
Celsius: what temperatures affect water
Kelvin: what temperatures affect atoms
Why didn’t my science teachers ever see fit to toss off this little fact?
I’ve written a short ficlet once, but I’ve yet to use the trope in a longer piece! Here are the recs, for amnesia (long term, temporary, magical, etc)
Both have amnesia
- By Any Other Name by entanglednow (E, 33k) He doesn’t know his name, he doesn’t know who he is, and neither does the werewolf he’s on the run with. But he’s pretty sure they hunt monsters, because they seem to be really good at it.
- until we wake by verity (E, 2k) "It shouldn’t have affected Derek," Lydia says over the phone. "But maybe—because of your bond." "What bond," Derek says.
- I Do Do You? by captain_loki (E, 7k) Stiles and Derek wake up hung over and married in a hotel room in Las Vegas. It wouldn’t be so bad if the year before their relationship hadn’t fallen apart.
Stiles has amnesia
- Remember Me by stilinskisparkles (T, 4k) When Stiles wakes up he sees a pair of eyebrows knitted together. He blinks and a blurry face comes into view. The face looks angry, no, furious.
- Black Out Days by Stoney (T, 13k) Myocardial contusion: literal crushing and bruising of one’s heart. There’s an accident. All Stiles can remember is how the handsome guy sitting next to his hospital bed makes him feel. And that the accident happened at a wedding. Which means…
- Wake me up with the morning light by rufflefeather (T, 2k) Derek goes into magic induced dreams to have what he lost.
- El Corazon del Lobo by heartsdesire456 (M, 23k) Derek drove back into Beacon Hills on a Tuesday morning seven years after he had left it last with one single thought: “Why am I doing this?” But in his heart, Derek knew exactly why. (In which Stiles suffers temporary memory loss and any serious emotional trauma could give him permanent damage so Scott calls Derek to come back and fake like he and Stiles are still together so that Stiles can heal)
- Stilinski Exclusive (remember remember) by Jerakeen (T, 437 words) "Oh my god,” Stiles says. “You did. You married me. I married you. I married a fireman superhero pornstar!”
- Come So Hard Motherfuckers Wanna Fine Me by sadtomato (E, 3k) Stiles wakes up naked on the bathroom floor with a throbbing headache and Derek Hale taking care of him.
- Begin Again by PeanutButter (E, 21k) "It’s March 2020," His dad begins. "We found you in the woods last night. You’d hit your head and were lying in a clearing. Do you remember that?" Stiles nods. That at least is familiar. "You’re twenty five." "I’ve lost seven years of my life?" Stiles remembers the steady beat of Derek’s heart, using it to keep himself calm. "Will I get it back?"
- the sound will bring me home again by notallargon (T, 2k) They stop for gas. Stiles considers making a run for it but the wire of his headphones is tangled with his seatbelt. “Stop fidgeting. I can smell your fear,” the trucker deigns to tell him. “You talk like a serial killer,” Stiles says. “I watch Criminal Minds, too.” “How great was Prentiss this season,” the trucker says. “She died.” “Oh my god, shut up. No spoilers.” In which Stiles doesn’t remember what happened with Gerard Argent, or very much else, actually.
- Untitled by Jerakeen and tryslora (T, 2k) Stiles wakes up one morning in a large bed, in a huge house, with no memory of where he is and why there are pictures of him and his friends - that he doesn’t remember taking - on every available surface. The mirror tells him he’s way older than he thinks he should be, and the couch downstairs reveals a sleepy disheveled hottie that he in no way could have landed.
Derek has amnesia